Trump is trying to launch the globe into another endless war. Now is the time to flood our local papers with letters to the editor calling on every American, from our neighbors to our representatives, to stop a war with Iran.
- Don’t stress. LTEs are short and you have support!
- Avoid jargon and acronyms.
- Keep it concise. Many papers have a word limit, or edit your letters. Keep in mind, LTEs are usually cut from the bottom up.
- Avoid phrases like “I think” or “In my opinion.” Remember, you’re educating others. You know.
- Talk about why this issue matters to you. Balance facts with personal and community reasons.
- Create a sense of urgency!
What We Know
- Iranian General Qassem Soleimani was assassinated by U.S. forces in Iraq.
- Congress was not notified of the strike in advance, a violation of the War Powers Act.
- This administration has long been seeking war with Iran, from violating and withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal to Trump’s “Maximum Pressure” campaign.
- Trump has made threats to target Iranian cultural sites, a violation of international law.
- In retaliation, Iran launched missile strikes against U.S. bases in Iraq, ending in no casualties – However, a separate attack led to the deaths of 176 Ukrainian civilians when Iran mistakenly shot down their plane.
- On 1/10/2020, the Trump administration announced new sanctions on Iran, ratcheting up the maximum pressure campaign even more.